Monday, June 13, 2016

Trends from Vegas

The jewelry industry’s largest trade show for finished jewelry is in Las Vegas the first week of June every year.  It just took place. I had planned to attend to cover trends, but with my school curriculum and schedule it was not possible.  I was particularly sorry to miss this year’s ART DECO offerings.  This is another trend you will be seeing a great deal of in magazines.  We buy, sell and trade a huge selection of estate jewelry at Provident. Our collection of Art Deco is timeless. Normally, the designs are very intricate, yet with simple looks; usually set in white gold or platinum with diamonds, accented by strong geometric shapes of colored gems like coral and black onyx together. Other designs use diamonds and the accenting colored gemstone would be ruby or blue sapphire. The Art Deco period was mid 1800’s to 1915, so it is jewelry that has been passed down from generation to generation. If you’re fortunate enough to have had one of these heirlooms passed down to you, I encourage you to wear it, now’s the time.  If you don’t have such a treasure or would like to own one, you know who to see for a piece that speaks to you. This time period look I love to style with my everyday wardrobe, because it’s about wearing the jewelry for me, not keeping it in the jewelry box or a safe or vault.  I can’t appreciate it there! 
Oh, how I hated to miss the show this year as it is the most exciting thing for a girl who so passionately loves the jewelry world as I do, but other things prevailed, namely, my GIA education.  In lieu of my attending the show, Scott Suchy, the GM at Provident Jewelry, 766 5th Ave., Naples’ store, and Aaron Steinberg the Managing Partner in Ft. Myers, filled me in on the scoop.  Of course, I also research the trade publications that help me stay abreast of important industry information as well as talk with my Women's Jewelry Association buddies.  I have compiled a list of things you will be seeing in the fashion magazines, on television, and in stores going forward.

The first trend is GEOMETRIC SHAPES which was seen in earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets. The fabulous Roberto Coin cuff in the photo below is a fantastic example of geometric shapes. Roberto Coin of Italy is a staple brand for us at Provident Jewelry because the product is so well made, easy to wear, and the designs speak for themselves.
STATEMENT NECKLACES like this lovely Gucci 18k White & Pink gold with diamonds necklace is definitely a show stopper. All a woman needs is that simple black dress in her closet to pull this off, and trust me I know every woman out there has one in her wardrobe. The trend, from simple statement necklace, to the big and bold, is whatever you prefer.  This can be something you can incorporate into your world without a lot of effort. All price points are available. One just needs to know where to shop.  Please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be happy to help you find your hearts’ desired statement necklace. You might do well to consider Gucci, another Italian designer who has a collection for every woman.


The last trend noticed was COINS & CAMEOS, which are always interesting items. I have always loved cameos, I guess it’s my Italian heritage. They were very popular in Ancient Rome, especially in the Augustus family circle.  Oh, how I love Italy... The creation of cameo carving goes back many generations in an Italian jeweler’s family, it is a laborious process that requires love of the art. The cameo shell bracelet is one of particular elegance and beauty, the theme is of a woman dancing and playing a musical instrument. Typically cameos are oval in shape, consisting of a portrait in profile carved in relief on a background of different colors. See below Provident's dancing ladies cameo bracelet set in 14k gold.

That wraps it up for this week. I hope you have enjoyed reading and I always love to hear your comments and feedback. Ciao' for now and make it a sparkling day......


Roberto Coin Fancy Colored Diamond Cuff


Gucci 18k White & Pink Gold "Flora Necklace"

14k Yellow Gold Ladies Dancing Cameo Bracelet







2 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to attend the Vegas show either...major bummer! But I was able to see someone hand-carving a cameo last summer when I visited Italy. I never understood how meticulous the artist had to be in order to create the masterpieces we enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dylynn,
      Oh, what a FABULOUS experience to see the Italian art of creating cameos. So jealous! I am sure it was a wonderful trip.
      Hope all is good for you & your family at the store. Thank you for your comment!
      M xo

      Delete