Monday, July 11, 2016

The road that is taking me on this journey....

The road that is taking me on this journey……

This week I would like to take the time to tell you exactly how this journey has been going thus far. When I originally arrived that Friday afternoon at the Gemological Institute of America, GIA, for my orientation in classroom #207, I was excited, anticipating a fabulous as well as relaxing shall we say, "VACATION" type summer-time in Southern California. Of course, I knew there would be work involved, but truthfully, I had not expected my days to be too rigorous. I have been in the jewelry and luxury industry for more than 20 years. I design jewelry and anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE everything about jewelry.

I missed the class orientation. It was held the week before I arrived.  My schedule did not allow me to be at the school at that time. So I arranged with the administrations office for my orientation on the Friday before the Monday school start date. I walked in and met my instructor, Tim, who showed me my desk assignment. There was a stack of 3 ring binders, books, pamphlets and assorted instruments on the desk. I foolishly asked him what was all that the stuff on my desk and to my surprise, he told me it was my course curriculum.  Shock rushed through out my body. Then he informed me I had three chapters to study over the weekend before class on Monday. Alarm set in as I realized this program was going to be more serious than I had expected. In high school I rarely found the subjects interesting, and sometimes it was hard to grasp all the information coming my way. How was I going to weather this storm that was about to take place. The thought came over me, maybe this idea of getting my GG wasn't the best one I have had recently!!!

Well, here I was, hitting the books again. Being older, and I would like to think more well rounded, my approach to studying at this time was different than high school.  Age and experience of life have helped me. Today, I work to achieve improvement of one small milestone at a time. My expectations are more realistic. The last eight weeks have been challenging. I have had to work my catoocas off, but my time here so far has remarkably rewarding. When I was twenty I would have compared myself to others, today I have learned to compare myself to myself. When I have a little victory, I make a big deal about it-- for me. This has helped me to stay here, in this course and finish out what I set out to do. There were two times in the past several weeks that I thought, I can't do this. The work is too hard and I just don't have what it takes. Well, I have accepted that is not true. That thought is was an out and out lie. I DO have what it takes -- one stone at a time, one question on the test every Friday at a time.
Oh, and did I tell you that by the last week of September, I will have looked at, and graded, 1,860 stones.  When I heard that number I almost fell off my chair. Not only do I need to see that many stones, but each week there is a stone count that is required, with a test every Friday on the course work, cumulative up to the date of information given. The final kicker was when I was informed that this course work in an Ivy League college would take 2.5 years. We are doing it in less than six months. This GIA course is no joke. Boy, did I embark on some character building work, or what???

My fellow students are from all around the world.  Some of them are the most fascinating, lovely, kind in spirit people I could ask to meet. Angel, my study partner, car pool buddy and dear friend, makes me laugh so often that I remember not take myself too seriously. He truly is an angel and the smartest, most driven person that I am fortunate enough to know her at GIA. Elizabeth, a real Nicole Kidman look alike, could not be any more encouraging. She is as beautiful as she is kind and an extremely well rounded woman. Julie, a hippie girl from Berkley, is a third generation jeweler and as cool as they come. She’s an incredible sketcher and very spirited with a joy for life to that is infectious. David, second generation jeweler and race car driver is totally laid back. He really knows how to enjoy the moment. He’s a perfect example for me of someone wearing life like a loose garment. Then, we have Bruce, who surprises me more often than not, with something I do not expect. He reminds me of my brother, big heart, funnier than funny and appreciative of life. He is a veteran who has served three tours and for that alone he deserves applause as well as admiration in my book. And lastly, I can not finish without mentioning Faris.... A 6" 4 inch, smile to melt your heart, and our class president. If I was 20 years younger I would be trying to get in all sorts of trouble with him! A true gentleman and remarkable young man that his parents can be truly proud of the person they brought into this world. These people are some of the finest human beings that I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I learn from them and my admiration continues to grow the more I get to know them. M xo

Course curriculum.... who knew?

Mined rough _ A Gemologists Heaven

Left to right; Faris, Julie, Andrew, Elizabeth, David, Seth, Derek & Chin






2 comments:

  1. we feel incredibly fortunate to have you, miss maryann, as part of our class. now i'm tearing up because our class support system is just that wonderful ❤️ love reading your blog. keep working hard like you do & pretty soon we will all have those gg cerificates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    Thank you for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete